Kenya Simbas kicked off their 2023 Rugby World Cup final qualification tournament with a 68-14 loss to USA in a match played on Sunday at the Sevens Stadium.
The Simbas conceded 19 points in the first half and let in 49 more in the final half. Paul Odera’s charges on the other end scored 14 points.
Jamason Fa’anana-Schultz scored the opening try for the USA but the TMO ruled out the try. Dylan Fawsitt then got a double and Schultz had one try that gave USA rugby a 19-0 advantage at halftime.
Fawsitt landed the third try of the day taking USA’s scoreline to 26-0 before Winger Christian Dyer grabbed another try for the Eagles for a 33-0.
Lock Brian Juma then pulled back for Kenya Simbas after a hard-charging run up the middle and Darwin Mukidza converted it for a 33-7.
- Follow the Scrummage Africa on Facebook
- Kenya 7s squad for Hong Kong 7s
- Impala statement on lighting issues during floodies
- Kenya Simbas squad for RWC Final Qualification Tourney
- Vihiga win National Prescott Cup
USA later got two corner post tries one by Nate Augspurger and Dyer. One Conversion was good and the second missed the uprights for a 47-7 lead. The Eagles added three more converted tries for a 68-7 lead.
Debutant Joshua Weru came off and then crossed the whitewash for a 68-12 and Mukidza converted for Kenya.
The big loss puts a dent in Kenya Simbas World Cup dreams with two matches still remaining against Hong Kong and Portugal.
The Kenya Simbas squad facing USA on Sunday 6th November
1. Patrick Ouko, 2. Eugene Sifuna, 3. Ephraim Oduor,4. Malcolm Onsando,5. Thomas Okeyo, 6. George Nyambua, 7. Daniel Sikuta, 8. Bethwel Anami, 9. Samuel Asati, 10. Geoffrey Ominde, 11. Jacob Ojee, 12. John Okoth, 13. Bryceson Adaka, 14. Geoffrey Okwach, 15. Darwin Mukidza.
RESERVES. 16. Teddy Akala, 17. Andrew Siminyu, 18. Joseph Odero, 19. Brian Juma, 20. Martin Owillah, 21. Brian Tanga, 22. Timothy Omela, 23. Joshua Weru