Uganda Sevens provisional squad has been announced ahead of the training sessions in preparation for the Africa Men’s 7s set for mid-September 2023.
The Uganda Rugby Union has called up 22 players, majority coming from the local clubs which are currently playing in the Uganda 7s Circuit.
Philip Wokorach in
Philip Wokorach who plays for French side A.S.B.C. Vaucluse is part of the squad and he is joined by Pius Ogena, Ian Munyani, Adrian Kasito, Aaaron Ofoywroth and Mubarak Wandera.
Allan Olango, Aaron Tukei, Mark Osuna, Davis Shimwa, Lukwago William, Roy Kizito and Aziz Bagalana have all made the cut.
Uganda who are the African Champions have been pooled alongside 2022 runners-up Zimbabwe, Burkina Faso and Algeria in the African Men’s 7s.
The winner of the 2023 edition will book a direct ticket to the Paris Olympics while the second and third-placed teams will secure qualification for the 2024 Final Olympic Qualification Tournament.
Uganda 7s Summoned players:
1. Ian Munyani – Kobs
2. Alex Aturinda – Stanbic Black Pirates
3. Allan Olango – Rhinos
4. Mubarak Wandera – Stanbic Black Pirates
5. Oketayot Byron – Kobs
6. Timothy Mugisha – Jinja Hippos
7. Adrian Kasito – Kobs
8. Aaron Ofoyrworth – Platinum Credit Heathens
9. Aaron Tukei – Toyota Buffaloes
10. William Nkore – Stanbic Black Pirates
11. Karim Arinaitwe – Kobs
12. Philip Wokorach – ASBC
13. Nobert Okeny – Platinum Credit Heathens
14. Denis Etwau – Jinja Hippos
15. Mark Osuna – Kobs
16. Faragi Odugo – Kobs
17. Pius Ogena – Kobs
18. Shimwa Davis – Rhinos
19. Massanganzira Isaac – Stanbic Black Pirates
20. Lukwago William – Plascon Mongers
21. Roy Kizito – Impis
22. Aziz Bagalana – Jinja Hippos